Inserting dimple dies

A place to ask general building questions and share your tips & tricks to make the next person's Sling building experience easier.
lutorm

Inserting dimple dies

Post by lutorm »

This is kind of embarrassing, but I just finished fabricating the frame for my DRDT-2, and when I attempt to insert the dimple dies they won't go in without shearing the O-rings that are on the pins. I've oiled them and attempted to gradually rock them in but the O-rings are just too large to go on without damage. Is there a trick here or did they put too large O-rings on the dies or something?
Blog of various projects: https://blog.familjenjonsson.org/blog/
ibgarrett

Re: Inserting dimple dies

Post by ibgarrett »

Based on my experience it does take a bit of pressure to get them to seat into the DRDT-2... Once you get them in there a few times they go in easier. After finishing my plane they take a bit of encouragement to remain in the slots.

I don't think the o-rings should/would shear off though...
Brian Garrett
STGove

Post by STGove »

FWIW, I had the same problem, called the DRDT maker in AZ. Ended up shearing my o-rings off in the DRDT. All good now.
Respectfully,
Steve & Emily Gove
First time Sling TSi Builders - League City, Tx
N720S (Reserved)
YouTube = N720S
HAM W1WHO
Cell: 713.818.5800
eMail: SteveEmilyGove@gmail.com
Venit inferni, sive in excelsum aqua - TEXAS Strong!
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

STGove wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:42 pm FWIW, I had the same problem, called the DRDT maker in AZ. Ended up shearing my o-rings off in the DRDT. All good now.
So you just kept using the sheared O-rings? I guess that's an option, although it seemed once they were sheared off the didn't hold so well.

I wonder if the problem is just that the chamfer in the mounting hole is too sharp, maybe I'll try rounding it a bit.
STGove

Post by STGove »

Again, just an FYI, and YMMV, but the guy who designed the DRDT told me if the dies get loose, just put on some tape to hold them in place.
Respectfully,
Steve & Emily Gove
First time Sling TSi Builders - League City, Tx
N720S (Reserved)
YouTube = N720S
HAM W1WHO
Cell: 713.818.5800
eMail: SteveEmilyGove@gmail.com
Venit inferni, sive in excelsum aqua - TEXAS Strong!
tbcarlson

Post by tbcarlson »

I had the same problem. Inserting the dies into the DRDT2 was difficult. When I used the arm to force them together, the outer part of both o-rings were sheared off. After that, they don't stay in the machine very well.

My solution was to simply put a thin piece of plastic (from a shopping bag) over the shaft of each die, then press them into the machine again, assisted by the lever. That adds just enough resistance so they don't fall out, but I can easily twist them out when needed.
lutorm

Post by lutorm »

FYI, I added a loop of steel wire in place of the O-ring. This worked so well I couldn't get it out again, and when I tried to pry it out the shaft snapped. Beware, those things are apparently really brittle (and expensive, I was quoted EUR 115 plus tax and shipping to get a new one).